Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A rose by any other name.....

So a few weeks back my husband and I invited a friend over with his mum and bro for Sunday brunch (Yes we do brunch here in Jozie). They are originally from Zimbabwe so naturally the hubby starts discussing Zim current affairs and tries to get a Zimbabwean’s view on the state of the country and where they see the country in the future. So we chat and debate amongst ourselves until the hubby’s friend says something like “I wonder what happened to pencil”. Pencil? That was their garden boy! This then started a whole other topic of the weird and wonderful names bestowed upon kids by their so-called loving parents. Its quite bizarre and fascinating to note that in many African cultures the parents name their kids after the first thing they think about or see when the baby is born. In Zimbabwe parents are merciless when it comes to giving their kids horribly embarrassing names like our friend’s maid’s boyfriend or someone whose name was television! They called him T.V for short lol lol So I felt it my civic duty to address the topic of giving children names that are simply outrageous. I starting researching names and origins of names etc. What possesses parents do this to their kids? What were they thinking when they filled out their birth certificates? Even educated celebrities have jumped on the proverbial bandwagon and named their kids things like apple and levi! Those poor kids! Anyway, the whole shebang is sad but still Hi-la-rious!!! Here are a few other names I found:
Al Bumin (very egg-straordinary)
Anita Cathider (I need a catheter? LOL)
Boyd Schitt (heehee)
Chris P Cream (I don’t wanna even get into the connotations!)
Ben Dover (Horrible horrible parents! They should be shot!)

But I must admit scarring your kids like that holds some appeal. Perhaps I should name my kids - Ma’as, Yuraaz and Aasia. Heehee

2 comments:

  1. My cousin's name is Yuraaz :D

    I was actually thinking if i get married and have kids to name my son Muaaz, but now I'm rethinking

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL My 3rd son!!!! Was thinking maybe luqmaan (Luke) and Leyya hehehe

    ReplyDelete